A good test of your values is asking when they last cost you something else that you wanted. For each of your values ask:
- Do you donate to the cause, or otherwise pay to make it happen?
- Do you give up opportunities?
- Do you pay a financial penalty for avoiding something?
- Do you work to change things by writing or organising?
- Do your values cost you time and effort?
- Do some people find your behaviour annoying or irrational?
If the answer is “no” to all of the above, the value in question might not be as strong as you think it is.