This is work that creates possibilities. It’s open ended, and while it might close some avenues down it generates even more new options, opportunities, connections and combinations.
Generative work includes:
- Reading widely and omnivorously
- Meeting new people
- Bringing groups of people together
- Taking the next step to make an idea real: write it down, scope it out, say the words, find (or make) the scene… **
- Going to a new place
- Doing a new thing – or an old thing in a new way
- Allowing space for thought, renewal, unexpected connections
- Anything that starts with a ‘what happens if I…’ (contact that author, try that app, say yes to that invitation, ask them if they can they can do something different, introduce a sense of play, deliberately model generosity, say these words, ask this question…)
We need to build generative activity into our lives and work – it enriches the ecosystem and expands the hinterland of everything else we do.
**This might end up in shutting the idea down of course… which creates space for a new generation.