It’s easy to recruit people or find partners if you lower your standards, but you almost certainly shouldn’t – apart from anything else, when will you stop?
A more useful approach is asking what you can do to help people get to the starting line. You might:
- Get better at finding to the right people at the right time;
- Be clearer about what attitudes and skills people need to bring with them if they want to work with you – and how they can demonstrate that they have them, and how they might gain them if they don’t;
- Be clearer about the value that you offer to people working for you or with you – communicate it well, and make sure you keep your promises;
- Think carefully about how you could be more accessible and flexible – and where you can’t or won’t be;
- Learn to train and manage people twice as well as you do now – and think about how you might train people outside your organisation – what could you make and share?
Who do you most want to give a leg up?