Information gets more interesting when you look at it over time:
- A series of photos of a place or people over time tells a story;
- Most statistics are only meaningful if you know how they change over time;
- Same for history;
- Same for geography etc etc;
- The same (I think) for people;
- And it’s at least partially the same for books and art.
Time helps us see both what’s significant and what’s important; what we’ve gained and what we’ve lost.
It also makes it possible to see what we might gain, and what we’ll definitely lose. Time happens (with chance) to us all. It waits (like the tide) for no-one.