You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.James Clear – Atomic Habits
If you want things to be easier tomorrow, it really helps to have strong systems in place. Most of the important things that you do go a lot better if you have a system for making sure that they happen:
- a regular commitment to eat something delicious with family or friends
- a standing order for the amount you’ve decided to invest every month… and save for maintenance of your house/car/wardrobe… and pay for life insurance (see Barefoot)
- something that will make sure you exercise
- a habit that will help you to learn
- something fun that you’ll get a kick out of doing
You get the idea. Even creative work (perhaps especially creative work) benefits when you make regular time and space for it. What happens in the space might be different every time, but if there’s no space, nothing will happen.
Even if you really can’t stand to make a system for creativity, having systems for other things in your life will make spontaneity possible far more often.
Atomic Habits is a good place to start – check out his interview with James Clear on the Read to Lead Podcast.