In the probably-quite-unlikely event that your project will last longer than you do – or at least lasts longer than your desire or ability to keep it alive – you’ll need to have a personal finishing line in mind.
- When, ideally, will you let go of the project?
- What state do you hope to leave it (what needs to happen so that you can leave without killing it?)
- Under what circumstances will you leave before the ideal time?
- What do you need to do and how do you need to frame your departure so that you and others feel good about you leaving?
- Will it be a clean break, or are there ways you’d continue to support the project?
- If things go wrong after you leave, what circumstances (if any) would drag you back?
Loving these posts on finishing lines. Something I don’t really think about but oh so important to the current project and for future planning. Thanks!
Cheers John – all as aspirational as ever as I try to apply them to my own stuff!