An education should give us an awareness of the limits of knowledge. Most obviously:
- That there are things that we (humans) don’t understand;
- That some of those things we may never understand (or at least, in our lifetimes);
- That we (as individuals) can’t possibly know everything that is known;
- … and so what we do know is necessarily incomplete;
- … and a portion of it will turn out to be wrong.
An education is grounds for further study rather than an end to research and the closing of books, and for humility rather than pride.