Before I can post about hybrids I need to post about selective breeding. People have been breeding plants and animals for thousands of years. Before modern science all you had to do was:
- Choose two plants or animals that you liked.
- Breed them.
- Repeat for thousands of years.
The results are amazing.
Look at this before and after shot of the watermelon from James Kennedy:
He has more of these on his website, which I’ll definitely be going back to.
The point for your organisation is this:
- Know what you want – vision, values, culture
- Choose what you want, and keep on selecting for it
- Make it explicit – explain what you’re doing to your team and others
- Iterate for days, months, years.
- Be fruitful
A word of caution. the wrong type of selective breeding can cause all sorts of mayhem and monstrosities.
The moral of the story: choose carefully, and be on the lookout for unintended consequences.