It’s much easier to look for something you’ve lost when you know it’s there:
- When you know that it exists
- When you know what it looks or sounds or feels like
- When you know that it really is in the place that you’re looking for it.
The same is true of the change we’re trying to make:
- It helps to know it’s possible
- It helps to have seen it happen before
- It helps to be confident that it can happen here
We don’t have to be certain – just confident enough that we think the change is worth the risk of taking the next step, and to go looking.
The step after that is often one of reporting back, telling allies, colleagues and clients: that the thing we’re looking for is possible:
“Come with me. It’s right here.”