- What is the biggest contribution that I can make to this team or organisation?
- What does it mean for me to be good at my job? What would be happening around me if I was good at my job? How would I feel? How would the people around me feel?
- What’s getting in the way?
- What do I have to do to be able to make progress? (long list)
- Out of the long list of things that will help, which would make the most difference? Which would enable not just progress, but accelerating progress towards our goals? (These are high leverage activities.)
- Who can I ask for help?
Write your answers down.
Write down your decisions.
Write down what you’re going to do.
Write down what you think will happen.
Come back later and see what happened. (This is Peter Drucker’s Feedback Analysis)
With thanks to Jeff Sanders and the 5 AM Miracle Podcast, ep #303 for the reminder of the importance of vision (defining the work) for specific tasks, not just for organisation.